Our world is filled with delicious and sugar-filled deserts: sweets, chocolate, muffins, cakes, and more. They surround us and tempt us, causing a real sugar addiction in many people, and it’s easy to understand why. Sugary foods are simple carbohydrates, which means that they fill us with energy fast and can be a tempting snack for when we are very hungry. Unfortunately, that energy boost is very short-lived, leaving us feeling hungry once more.
Another major reason why people crave sugary foods is the way they make us feel. Sugar releases serotonin, a chemical that makes us feel good, as well as endorphins, which relax us and improve our mood. A little sugar is not bad, but huge health problems can appear when we eat too much of it. On the contrary, decreasing sugar intake can improve our health and bring our weight under control. In fact, it is one of the main parts of a weight loss treatment. So, what can be done to get rid of sugar cravings?
Here Are a Few Tips
- Eat fruits. Fruits are a healthy alternative to sweets. They provide a sweet taste, and at the same time have decent amounts of nutrients and fibers. This includes fresh fruits, as well as dried fruits.
- Eat regularly. People often eat sweet foods when they are hungry and need fast energy. By eating regularly, you will keep your blood sugar stable without experiencing hunger. It is recommended that people eat every three to five hours.
- Choose quality over quantity. If you have that undeniable sugar craving that must be satisfied, eat a very small portion of an extremely delicious sweet product and savor every bite. You will get the same enjoyment, as eating a whole chocolate bar, without the extra sugar and calories.
- Increase your protein intake. Quite often, our bodies crave sweets when in fact they are lacking protein. So, make sure to eat more eggs, meat, and fish. Besides decreasing your sugar cravings, these foods will get rid of your hunger and make you less prone to giving in to sweets.
- Chew gum. Research has shown that chewing gum decreases sweet craving as well as other cravings for food. So, keep a stick of chewing gum where you can easily reach it when your sugar cravings appear.
- Exercise. Walking, running, biking and other exercises are a great way to forget about your sweet cravings. As soon as you feel the desire to eat something sweet, put your shoes on and go for a walk. Not only does exercise distract us from our sweet craving, but it also makes us feel happy, just like the sweets do.